Ronco del Gnemiz Schioppettino

You’re reading the super old version of this blog, to go to the new blog visit www.wine90.co.uk

Ronco del Gnemiz Schioppettino

There’s something about Ronco del Gnemiz’s Schioppettino that makes it a real party wine. It may have been the Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc that went before it, but I’d like to think that it was the Ronco del Gnemiz Schioppettino that sent the Valentines day party (or my personal experience of it) into new realms of “I knew I liked you the minute I met you” and “We should set up in business” and all those other wonderful things you say when a great wine sends you over the line from acceptably merry into, well, rather tiddled. Of course it was the euphoria from the quality of the grape juice and NOT the alcohol that sent my head spinning even though, coincidentally, this comes in at a whopping 14.5%.

This wine is one of four wines I tried over this weekend from the Berry Bros and Rudd delivery mentioned last week. The Schioppettino was the best of the bunch, but there wasn’t much to choose here with all these wines separated by just 3 points. Last week I blogged about Moschioni’s Pignolo, well Moschioni also produce the best Schioppettino out there too.

Schioppettino is another (like Pignolo) native grape to the Friuli region of Italy. The Schioppetino grape is capable of creating great wines on its own but is sometimes included in blended Colli Orientali del Friuli DOC wines. On its own Schioppettino produces dark ruby red, dry wines of a good body with high acidity. Italian grape varieties 101 concluded, and on to the reviews!

Ronco del Gnemiz Schioppettino 2006PASS – €40
Deep brooding purple, on the nose this wine brought oodles of black pepper, herbs and dark fruits, a slight perfume note lingered too. The mouth feel was huge, a fat wine with plenty of fruit put me in mind of Syrah. Good length on the finish but not £33 for my palate. 90 Points

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2008PASS – €25
Golden yellow in colour. A rich bouquet, fresh and tropical and quick to give it up too. Good acidity and freshness and continuing with a pineapple/zesty theme. A touch clipped on the end and a little watery too. Nice wine but again, not value. 88 Points

Ara Composite Sauvignon Blanc 2006 – BUY – €12
Striking golden yellow. Quickly aromatic with some grassy notes with plenty of fruit backing it up, pineapples and bananas. This wine is more honeyed than the Cloudy Bay but also suffers from a slightly watery finish, the acidity was a little off. A well put together if simple Sauvignon Blanc, a touch flabby but good QPR here. 87 Points

Pulenta Estate Malbec 2005BUY – €18
Dark puple in the glass. Lots of ripe dark fruit on the nose, blackberries but a hint of sweetness, a little raisined and for me, the wine screamed Black Forest Gateaux. On the palate the wine continues that raisined aspect, good amounts of fruit, held together well this is a big wine but not killing me with tannins. Tastes great and should take some ageing too. Good-O. 89 Points

See, I told you the BBR delivery would produce a lack of QPR. How thrilled I am to be right at the expensive of my pocket. The website is pretty thou!

All these wines can be purchased at Berry Bros and Rudd.

What did you drink over Valentines? Ever tried any of these wines? What will the falling pound mean for your drinking habits? We shall see our wine prices go up 25% for US and European wines over the next few months, what will you do? Drink British!? If you’re not British, which 75% of you are not, please leave us your condolences.

11 Comments Add yours

1. Tim says:

Difficult times for UK retailers. English wines are improving year upon year, why not?

2. Yasmin says:

You might have our deepest sympathies if we hadn’t been suffering from the exact same problems in the US for the past few years.Make a bee line with South American wines. We might have overinflated those prices for you too. There’s always China

3. Keith says:

Not sure prices will rise Sarah, the UK consumer wont take the hit in the pocket. Prices will mostly remain the same until the next vintage. Trying times.

4. Anonymous says:

5. Working in wine retail,I can already see the prices rising. What to do? Shop around and don’t expect to get a decent wine for less then a fiver. Speaking as someone who’s been sampling English wine lately, go for the whites, if you must, avoid red for the time being.

6. PaulM says:

Sarah, so why do you buy from BBR? Why not smaller importers, which are often more interesting and better value. Did you see the BBC 4 programme about them? – it put me off them.The credit crunch / exchange rate has two effects for me.1 I will buy less and drink more from my ‘cellar’. 2 When I do buy, I will buy more from auctions.

7. HiI buy from BBR because they do have a good variety and I like the website, the search etc. places like virgin wines/laithwaites are the pits.If you have some recommendations for a website with 1000+ quality wines thats in English (strangely in other languages 1855, superiore.de i get better value) with the same info as bbr that is user friends. Please tell me about them.There are some in London that i like, like Uncorked, but as yet still without buying online facility.English reds? The mouth puckers!

8. Terry says:

Do you they even make red wine in the U.k?

9. Sarah says:

Hihttp://www.bestenglishwine.co.uk/categoryfast.cfm?catid=26Check it out, expected the Pinots, £30 Cab Merlot was not expected.Will have to try this out Sharpham Beenleigh Red.(sorry in Sarah account not wine90)

10. It definitely hasn’t been any picnic over here in the United States either. A lot of people here are dealing with the recession by cutting back on their wine drinking habits overall. Others — like me — can’t imagine doing that, so we’re looking for ways to get more bang for our buck, which isn’t impossible to do. There are actually quite a few wines out there that are relatively inexpensive compared to what I might have paid for a bottle in more prosperous times, but that are still very good regardless. You just have to find them. Wine blogs and journals are a good way. Wine clubs are another, especially in a day and age where more and more people are saving money by enjoying their wine at home. That’s what we specialize in at my site < HREF="http://www.wineclubguide.com" REL="nofollow">wineclubguide.com<>. We find, try, catalog and write < HREF="http://www.wineclubguide.com" REL="nofollow">wine club reviews<> for all our discoveries to help people figure out which of the many are right for them. We feature many that are geared toward value wines that are well worth drinking, but easily fit into tighter budgets.