Tenuta dell’Ornellaia Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia

Tenuta dell’Ornellaia Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia 2005

Tenuta dell’Ornellaia Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia 2005, recently released and enjoyed here in la belle paese is another of those 2005 vintage Super Tuscans, usually such a flag bearer for Italian wine, that might have suffered from the wet and wild 2005 Tuscan weather. Bad vintages set apart great winemakers and Tenuta dell’Ornellaia have a sterling reputation and team Axel Heinz/Leonardo Raspini go to work to ensure, if grapes ripen Ornellaia reach excellence. They released 2005 and im pleased they did, for what we have here, like the Tignanello 2005, is a wine more quickly approachable and at prices that are not going to smash through the roof (not that €92 is small potatoes but it’s far less than the 2004).
This producer was far more upbeat about 2005 than Antinori was about their 2005 Tignanello but, how much of this is a positive spin on a bad vintage? I’ll let you decide. Tenuta dell’Ornelellaia produce a top quality Merlot, the Masseto, together with Redigaffi probably Italy’s finest, but their most interesting wine is this one, the Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia blended effort, 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 22% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Franc, 4% Petit Verdot. These wines, in great vintages are even spoken about in the same breath as Lafite and the Italian wine community are very proud of this vino. Exporting well to the US where Wine Spectator, Tanzer and Parker also wax lyrical about the wine, we are talking about a world famous and celebrated wine, did 2005 hold up?

Um. Kinda. Almost. Well, not really. At €92 and 92 points I wouldn’t fill my cellar with this wine, but, it’s Tenuta dell’Ornellaia Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia, it’s going to sell, restaurants will be snapping this up and marking it up thru the roof and, at this price, if you’ve always wanted to try this wine, if it is your life’s ambition, then this can seem like an attractive proposition. It’s a good wine, it’s just not “a smart buy”.

*** Now, as a reward for reading this far and because last week the blog received over 500 readers a day I am going to run a competition in celebration! All you have to do for free vino is leave a comment! That’s it, simple pimple. I am going to choose one comment leaver, at random, and send to them FOR FREE, FOR NOTHING, AS A GIFT, GRATIS, 6 bottle of Cellar Door vino just because I have love! Of course you must be over 18 and, sorry, must live in Europe (inc Ireland and the UK). Leave a comment on this blog entry any time before 4pm Friday 11th of July. ***

Tenuta dell’Ornellaia Bolgheri Superiore Ornellaia 2005PASS – €92
Interesting dark ruby red in the glass, a lovely generous nose filled with mocha, chocolate cherries, spices and some light oak. Surprisingly mid bodied but drinking very well, nice length to the finish, nice rich mouth feel, well structured and a pleasant palate flavour profile of blueberries and coffee. Drinking too well today, if such a thing can be claimed! 92 Points

Like the Tignanello 2005, this wine should be maturing in a couple of years. 2004 was an outrageous vintage and 2006 sounds far more promising so if it really, really is your life’s ambition, and you have exactly €92 in your pocket. Then shoot!

Where can I buy this wine?
Europeans – Nettari Etruschi – €92
Americans – Sterling Fine Wines – $129
Brits – Nettari Etruschi £73

Leave a comment!
So here we are, competition time, let’s see how many of you are attracted to freebies!
So for a free 6 pack of wine, leave a comment and answer this question…
“If you were a bottle of wine…. (see where this is going?) what bottle of wine would you be”?
Go varietal or producer name, go Italian or Californian I care not!

61 Comments Add yours

1. Deborah says:

An ’89 Haut Medoc, for sure. 🙂

2. Gav says:

If I were a wine, I’d be an Amarone …..smooth, rich and deep with a great body and excellent aging potential. (gavin dot denn at gmail dot com)

3. Hannah says:

I suppose an Italian Rose then :p

4. jrmartin says:

I’d be a svelte bottle of Gewürztraminer. Nobody would be able to spell my name. I’d get no respect from snooty sorts. I’d flirt well with spicy and cheap Thai food. But more importantly, I’d be last on the shelf when they came looking for the Chardonnay.I could go on.james – jrmartin (at) wanderingitaly.com

5. MT says:

turoasaur@hotmail.com says…I would be a martinbourgh pinot noir, brings out the best in you on cold wet days in July!

6. Caliwine says:

I would be a nice rich Cabernet, Thats been aged a bit kinda like me, I prefer to think I get better with age, And can hold up to about anything, I like Tilden Peak 2002 Cab.. And its only through my wine club, But I like Llano Estacado 2005 Cab. And it’s available anywhere.

7. A bottle of Primitivo all the way:)

8. Gee says:

If I were a bottle of wine I would be a wonderful bottle of Pinot Grigio.Cool crisp and perfect on a beautiful hot Italian Summers dayOne can dream – as I sit here freezing on a typical Irish Summers day watching the rain come down.Think I’ll buy a bottle of Pinot Grigo anyway to cheer myself up. geraldinekane@eircom.net

9. Well, my personal lucky number (27) was pre-chosen to be the winner of the 6 bottles and the comment maker for that was….. *drum roll* Andrew (wine.scribbler AT gmail dot com). I’ve emailed him and will send over those bottles next week. So competition closed. Well done Andrew

10. < HREF="http://www.burgundywinevarieties.com/" REL="nofollow">Burgundy Wine <> lies at the very heart of France, and is one of the world’s finest wine producing regions. Located two hours to the southeast of Paris, the wine area starts in Chablis in the north of the region and then it follows the autoroute A6 southerly to Lyon.The Burgundy soil is mainly based on oolitic limestone, upon which both the Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes flourish. The red wines, made with the Pinot Noir, are more difficult to grow because these grapes are more sensitive to disease or to being badly handled. Towards the south of the region, from around Macon, the soil changes to a reddish granite schist and sand of the Beaujolais. Here, the Gamay grape flourishes, making excellent red wines, many of which are drunk while they are young. If you have not been to Burgundy, try it. It is a great part of France to visit for a holiday. Alternatively, stay at home and simply drink and enjoy the wine. You can more information for the Burgundy Wine in: < HREF="http://www.burgundywinevarieties.com/" REL="nofollow">http://www.burgundywinevarieties.com/<>

11. Your blog is awesome and you too are awesome! Just felt the need to say that (hehe) Plus your work is simply great! I don’t want to boast on and on you really did a good job formatting this blog!