Suavia Soave Classico

on

Suavia Soave Classico

Suavia have had a mega couple of years with their Soave Classicos scooping WineSpectator and Gambero Rosso awards. Suavia produce only Soave wines and with 4 very different Soaves (2 you can see in the episode below, a further oaked Soave Classico and a Recioto di Soave) they seem on the fast track to joining the other kings of Soave, Inama, Pieropan, Gini and Anselmi. Watch the video below to see how their entry level Soave Classico and Tre Bicchiere award winning “Monte Carbonarefaired.

Hows that for some crazy titles?

I really can’t recommend these wines highly enough. This is real quality wine for £7 and £11 and represents the very best of Italian white wine value. Its common knowledge that the southern whites, the Fianos and Falanghinas have come on in great strides over the last 5-10 years but that you can get this level of quality from Soave for £10 is something worth shouting about. Please go out and try these wines. Then come back here and let me know what you thought. Do it now 🙂

Suavia Soave Classico 2008BUY – £7
A straw yellow colour with green hues the wine is generously aromatic with a strong note of nettles as well as wet rocks and grapefruit. On the palate the structure is elegant with great acidity and fruit balance producing a fresh and lively wine, really cutting acidity. A good length dry finish completes a brilliant example of Soave. 90 Points

Suavia Soave Classico “Monte Carbonare” 2007BUY – £11
A darker straw yellow with good intensity. On the nose the wine has a nutty character but the over-riding pineapple and apricot fruit shine through, earth and mineral notes combine to give this wine a multi-dimensional personality on the nose. The palate is luscious and full with a tropical flavour continuing with strong apricots on the mid palate and a fruity generous finish. Less cutting but still fresh and lively. Top quality Soave. 92 Points

Where can I buy this wine?
Both Soaves can be bought at the UK retailer Bibendum
Both Soaves can be bought at European retailer Superiore
The Soave Classico can be bought at SuperwineWarehouse and the Monte Carbonare at Winerz in the USA.

Both these Soave wines come from 50 year old vines yet Suavia don’t mention that fact. Most producers with old vines will make a point of letting their customers know this. Why is it that Suavia are not making a fuss over this? Are 50 year old vines par for the course in Soave? Does vine age matter less with Gargenega?

Any general comments about Soave or bullfrogs are welcome 🙂

11 Comments Add yours

1. Nicoleugenia says:

Sarah,

as far as I know (and according to the official statistics from the “Consorzio Tutela del Soave”) more than 40% of the vineyards in the Soave and Soave Classico areas are older than 30.
    Such factor is also mirrored on the producers: the average age of the vineyard owners is 60, with a stunning percentage of 46% 60+. Which is not surprising, really, since Garganega is one of the most traditional varieties in a region that <>loves<> its vines and wines.
    Therefore, in such a “sistema”, I can easily see 50 years old vines not being that big a deal to deserve a special mention.

Also… <>ribbit<>!

2. Sarah says:

Wow thanks Nicoleugenia!

There was very little information on Soave on the net in English so thats why its really useful to have the Italians follow this blog too.

Thanks a lot 🙂

3. Nicoleugenia says:

My pleasure!

By the way, the Consorzio Tutela del Soave does have an english version of its official website ( http://www.ilsoave.com/en/home/ ) but sadly they haven’t uploaded an english version of their fact sheet as well.
    For future reference, should you need something translated feel free to poke me and toss it my way!

4. Ken V says:

Are you directing a plane to land at the beginning of the video?

I am not a fan of northern italian whites but those two do seem an interesting couple of soaves and so different too.

The winzer price on the second wine seems high, do you know why that would be?

5. Elle Clark says:

Love the title! Very fun!

6. Pegg says:

“Some of them have very high heels”?

7. Terry says:

Those opening titles are the funniest thing Sarah

Two things

1, I have seen that second Soave for cheaper than $22 at my local wineshop in Trenton although I don’t think they have an On-Line store.

2, High Yields. Soave wines even at the highest end of the market are old vines and quite high yields I do believe?

Our market is flooded with Pinot Grigio is there a Suavia of Pinot Grigio?

8. winesleuth says:

I did the tasting along with you and I have to say, I’m not convinced on these Soaves BUT if you have any plump, ripe fresh strawberries, as I did, the combination is awesome, like a party in my mouth! (opening bars of “Conga” – “come on shake your body, baby do the conga…..”)

9. Anonymous says:

Nice opening to the show and good timing as we had a bottle of Soave tonight. Not from these producers and we were less delighted with our bottle.

VJ

10. babsinumbria says:

Hi Sarah,

Love your opening titles, more please.

I will definitely be trying the Soave, although I do prefer red wine.
    Lots of info, you seem very clued up.
    Watch that table for scratches!

11. Anonymous says:

This site specializes in the education of consumers interested in auto < HREF="http://www.getthebestautoloan.com" REL="nofollow">online car loan<>