Allegrini Valpolicella Classico 2007

on

Allegrini Valpolicella Classico 2007

Allegrini Valpolicella Classico 2007 is a perfect example of Valpolicella done right and at a fair price. A great example of its type, Allegrini Valpolicella Classico 2007 will be a terrific accompaniment to a summers picnic and saw me through an afternoon re-run of the Formula One GP, a perfect wine to relax with.

Allegrini are one of the top producers in the Veneto and one of my personal favourites (you’ll notice them mentioned a few times on the blog). They are pioneers in the area and produce some exceptional wines including a blend “La Grola” (Corvina Veronese, Rondinella, Syrah and Sangiovese) and a 100% Corvina wine “La Poja” that regularly scoop all the top scores and awards as well as a magnificent Amarone of which I like to keep a magnum or two in the house at all times.

Allegrini Valpolicella Classico 2007BUY – £7.75
A striking ruby red in the glass the wine is hugely aromatic and attacks your nostrils as you uncork the wine. Lively notes of glazed cherry and herbs on the nose with a light-mid bodied palate with some cherry fruit on the mid-palate. The wine has good acidity and is a typical Valpolicella Classico with a bitter note on the finish. 86 Points

Where can I buy this wine?
Americans – The Wine Buyer – $11.99
Europeans – Superiore – €7.90
Brits – AG Wines – £7.75

Your perfect summer wine?

10 Comments Add yours

1. Peter Brookes says:

Valpolicella can never be a really great wine. Just head right for the Amarone and skip this stuff.

Which Amarone delle Valps do you drink?

2. Terry says:

Always a Rose or whites in the summer although the lighty fruity reds can be appealing but not with barbeque food. Rose all the way.

3. winesleuth says:

I see the table is getting cleaner! I love my reds and hate the idea of giving them up just because it’s hot (I’ll apply that term loosely here in London) so nice to have this alternative. I bet it’s even lovelier slightly chilled (like Beaujolais).

4. Anonymous says:

This wine sounds lovely. I must admit I have tried a few Valpolicellas but never been impressed, if this really is available anywhere then I will try it.

5. Anonymous says:

Martin Daws

6. alibus says:

Nice blog! Good luck!

7. Isaac Kaemingk says:

Valpolicella can never really be a great wine? Hmm…
    There is always a time for any well made wine, making every well made wine relatively great. Off course, if you mean you like big wines with high alcohol and residual sugar this wine will disappoint you, but if you do not have a ‘one track palate’ you will find there is more to wine than power and concentration.
    Well balanced and elegant wine, defenitely has a place in my picnic-basket!

8. I have tasted this vintage and I do think it is a good wine.

9. Marcus says:

Food pairing?
    We have a course on the restaurant where I work, in Norway, and I am trying to find a good match of wine for it. It's chicken breast and thigh, filled with duxesse – ours is made of mushroom, sundried tomatoes, onion, herbs – and on crushed tomatoes with amandine potatoes.
    Any suggestions? We have the Valpolicella Allegrini and maybe that would work well.

10. Anonymous says: