Cloudy Bay Wines

on

Cloudy Bay Wines

Cloudy Bay wines are a fine way to go for Foreign Fridays and do I have the FOUR wines for you! Cloudy Bay is the most famous producer from New Zealand who set the bar for other NZ Sauvignon Blanc producers and made the varietal famous in this part of the world. Much celebrated and lauded Cloudy Bay are much more than SB these days with a range of wines including a Gewurztraminer, late harvest Riesling, Pinot Noir, the sparkling “Pelorus” and “Te Koko” an alternative SB. I spent Wednesday night at the Cloudy Bay tasting at Chelsea’s Bluebird with the WineSleuth, see how we got on with our four favourites from the event.

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2008BORDERLINE– £13.50
Straw yellow in colour. A rich bouquet, fresh and tropical and quick to give it up too. Good acidity and freshness and continuing with a pineapple/zesty theme. Very flavourful on the palate but a touch clipped on the end. 88 Points

Cloudy Bay Gewurztraminer 2006BUY – £16.95
Deep straw yellow in colour. A hugely fragrant wine with classic Gewurzt notes of rosewater, lychee, honeysuckle combining to create a Turkish Delight-esque nose. On the palate the wine is fat and full with a hint of residual sugar, the wine has good acidity but isn’t cutting. An interesting example of NZ Gewurtz 90 Points

Cloudy Bay Te Koko Sauvignon Blanc 2006BUY – £21.69
A clear but intense straw yellow. One of the best noses I’ve experienced all year. Delicious notes of ginger, jasmine, herbs, butter and mandarin, smoky oak, all aligning to create, for my nose, an extracted fortune cookie nose. On the palate the wine is full bodied, luscious and creamy with citrus and orange peel notes. A long finish completes a stunning, well rounded wine of top quality. Can’t recommend this highly enough and much better than the standard Sauvignon Blanc. 92 Points

Cloudy Bay Pinot Noir 2006PASS – £17.35

A darker than expected ruby red. The wine is forthcoming aromatically with layers of fragrance including smoky bacon, plums and blueberry. A mid bodied wine with well ingrained tannins and smooth lingering finish. 86 Points

I’m passing the Pinot Noir simply because I think there are better priced New Zealand Pinot Noirs in this price range, on this occasion myself and the WineSleuth did not agree. In the £15-£20 NZ Pinot Range I much prefer Craggy Range and Peregrine though both of these are Central Otago and not Marlborough. I have yet to be impressed by both Cloudy Bay or Wither Hills in the Pinot stakes. A matter of taste of course.

Where can I buy these wines?
Watch the video, lowest prices outlined for each wine.

Favourite Cloudy Bay wines, favourite producer of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir?

Top Read Blog Posts – May 2011
Tignanello 2006
Italian Wines 2011
Verdicchio di Matelica
Taurasi Feudi di San Gregorio

18 Comments Add yours

1. Mike says:

great post

2. Peter Davies says:

Craggy Range also produce a Sauv Blanc that’s better than the Cloudy Bay. I can admit to have a penchant for Saint Clair where the expression of the fruit counts more.

3. Fejj says:

Sarah

I think there are several worthy areas producing great pinot now all over New Zealand. Even if Marlborough is home to sauvignon blanc there are some world class pinots from credible stock. Look to Forrest Estate and Delta. I agree that Central Otago seems to be the place right now but Martinborough must be the “terroir king”.

As a range I enjoy Cloudy Bay more than Wither Hills even though they are price/location comparible I’ve found some variation in a few different Wither Hills products.

4. Anonymous says:

Foxes Island.

5. Ben Favley says:

New Zealand Pinots are the rage and I too prefer the style of central otago, I think most NZ pinot drinkers do as they have let their own style come to the fore rahter than copying a french style.

6. italytutto says:

Not sure about Cloudy Bay – can be over-prized in my experience.

7. Anonymous says:

This site specializes in the education of consumers interested in < HREF="http://www.getthebestautoloan.com" REL="nofollow">car loan online<> financing

8. Anonymous says:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9. Jeanne says:

Hi – I stumbled across your blog while looking for Venice food & wine bloggers that I might hook up with on a forthcoming visit to Venice – and right there on the front page is my friend Denise! How crazy is that 🙂

10. Anonymous says:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11. Anonymous says:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12. candy says:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

13. candy says:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

14. march says:

This comment has been removed by the author.

15. wine blog says:

I have never tasted the Te Koko but it sounds amazing. I agree that the standard SB from Cloudy isn't quite the best bang for the buck and one can easily buy an equal or better New Zealand SB for less money. Cheers!

16. Wine Clubs says:

I appreciate the use of video in your posts. I am impressed by the use of both print and video and the way we're forced to watch the video to get the best info.

I plan on copying this format in my own blog!

17. Tuscany is a majestic, enchanting place. Where else can you drink wine relaxing in the vineyard it was grown, sleep in historic villas, and learn to cook from master chefs. Take a look at some of my photos at http://www.tuscanway.com/tuscany/photos/. Enjoy! (http://www.tuscanway/com/)

18. I just published a stack of comments that had been sitting there a month or two! Sorry guys! I was being spammed silly so had to change the permission settings on the site and then didn't see that the comments were awaiting verification.

Please forgive me!